Thursday 14 June 2007

What are you waiting for?

Tips for a good health? Here are some I have tried and tested:
1- Pamper yourself once in a while: whether it’s an expensive item of clothing, a pedicure, whether you are a man or a woman, spoiling oneself has always been excuse number one for switching off your mobile and ignoring the world. It doesn’t mean your gay, and it is certainly not an insult to feminists out there. It’s not about looking good, it’s about feeling special.
2- Get yourself a pet: Not a joke or invented notion. Medical experts praise this habit ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6279701.stm ) and I second them advising anyone to do so. Not only it’s a good excuse to get us out of our enclosed homes but they also boost our mood, contributing to our immune system. My partner and I recently adopted a dachshund mix, a sausage dog, and the good vibes I get from my pooch everyday are better (and cheaper!) than any psychologist I have come across. Whichever animal you decide to welcome in your home, make sure you are doing it for the right reason and also that you are aware of the responsibility it represents.
3- Plan your holidays: even if you can’t afford them or don’t have the time to go away, decide where your next holidays are going to be, and if necessary, set up a saving scheme. It will give you something to look forward to, and believe me, we all need a bit of hope in our lives. I think I will visit Berlin next (although I will probably end up in Brussels again first…I will keep you posted)
4- Write a diary: you don’t have to become the next Carrie Bradshaw or a recycled Bridget Jones. Just keep a book where you organise your day or week, keep important to-do’s up to date, and set yourself personal objectives. I began this practice three years ago, and it transformed this unorganised girl into an unorganised but tidier, and more satisfied, woman J
5- Watch more films: Try reaching for the classics you have never managed to get round to. I recently discovered the Godfather trilogy…we will make him an offer he cannot refuse… classic Marlon Brando.
6- Learn a foreign language or do a course: on anything! Pilates, art, IT, there is always something new to learn. Yoga is doing miracles to my body, and going to classes is usually a great way of meeting new people.
7- Exercise! seriously, it is great for your body but also for your brain! I admit I am a bit of a coach potato, but being fit is always a boost to my mind…right now I am far away from being fit…but I have the pet and I am doing the yoga, so exercising, AND I MEAN IT!!, will be the next thing! (I hope!)

No comments: