Thursday 14 June 2007

Modern man

I haven’t written for a while now. Somehow my days seem to be filled to the brim, I end up exhausted. I get up at 7am but only if I am brave enough to roll open my yoga mat, on the cold floor, and work out. Then I have breakfast and get ready for my IT class. My study session ends at 2pm. That’s not even half of the day, and I look forward to my break, strolling back home to enjoy lunch with my boyfriend, who lives with me.

I cannot complain, he is an excellent housemate. He is perfectly clean and barely makes a mess. He cooks wonderfully, and he never snores! He is quick in the shower, doesn’t watch football, and has good musical taste. With all these positive traits, you must be thinking, “come on, he can’t be perfect!!” Well, no, he isn’t: he is a smart-ass, enjoys proving that he can cook better than me (that’s only what HE believes, couldn’t be further from the truth), indulges in telling me what I do wrong, turns on the cold water when I am showering…should I go on?

No, seriously, I shouldn’t complain. Why? Because if one takes a quick look at men here in the south of Spain, one realises that what she has at home is a gift. Men in Andalusia are incapable of ignoring football, always expect you to cook for them, they are useless at dusting, ironing or doing anything by themselves…I am not one to defend generalisations, but these guys, this region, need to be labelled and shamed so that any evolution may occur.

Please, at least somebody prove me wrong! I am calling for change. I am asking for fewer women overprotecting their boyfriends, sons, husbands and start forgetting to do everything for them. I am pleading for men to be proactive and learn some basic skills. The simple-minded, unkempt, and useless Latin lover is over. At least, less and less women have one walking by their side.
And if you are still holding on to one, what are you waiting for? Give him the mop and just leave him there…purely in the name of evolution!

No comments: