Tuesday 29 April 2008

Madonna's latest candy

Since last Friday everyone is asking me the same question: What's Madonna's new album like? As I kept repeating myself I decided to post my opinion on my blog and direct those apparently curious minds to it.
I bought Madonna's latest album, Hard Candy, last Friday 25th of April, in the FNAC store in Brussels. I had heard so much about it, the usual buzz accompanying any Madonna release, and had ended up quite nervous about the whole “Madonna embraces Hip-Hop” rumours. It turns out the album is not hip-hop, but classic Madonna, and I mean classic as in retro, as in the Everybody, Lucky Star and Physical Attraction years. Hard Candy is so reminiscent of that era, it has you tapping your feet from the word go. Give it 2 Me (the next single) is much better than 4 Minutes, a jumpy beat, destined to be a fan-favourite and a new classic in her discography. Other gems are Dance 2night, duet with Justin Timberlake, a fantastic retro-disco song, Heartbeat, Candy Shop, Devil Wouldn’t Recognize You, and should I go on? My only “diss” is Spanish Lesson, I have listened to it several times I still don’t get it.
Madonna has managed to create, yet again, a hit, on the dance floor and on everyone's ipod. It is Madonna as we know her best, talking about sex, inviting you to dance with her, and knowing how to make the hippest producers walk her way. The general public may think The Neptunes, Timbaland and Justin Timberlake rule Hard Candy, but it is her majesty Queen M. who controls the whole project from beginning to end, and we like that.

No comments: