Monday 31 March 2008

The Short Story of Life and Confusion

There are times in your life in which you think you are the only one with the problem. You believe the burden only affects you and no one else. Then you speak with the work colleague you don’t normally talk to, or maybe you catch up with an old friend, or you come across an article in your girlfriend’s magazine. And voilĂ , you realise that your particular problem is not unique, that a lot of people are also suffering from it.

You start wondering whether is a generational thing, maybe it is something to do with our origin, our background, maybe even with the job we chose, or our studies. However, this general confusion affects nearly everyone, but in different grades. We all react to it in diverse manners. It becomes really bad if you are one of those who really must do something about it. Then this "need" becomes painful. If such desires are not fulfilled it can end up leaving someone with a strong depression.

These are eternal doubts, ongoing “why don’t I” questions, forever regrets or longings. Some took the wrong decisions, others didn’t even have the chance of choosing their way, we just took what we were given and kept walking. I am constantly asking myself the reason behind every decision I make, I am always questioning my actions, and make a conscious effort not to take the wrong one. Now I am living in the heart of Europe, Belgium. It is the second time I am here, and both times I have moved here for work. Why am I here? Will I feel personally and professionally satisfied? Or do such concepts really not exist? Will my best friend find his true calling? Will my colleague manage to beat her troubles and become who she really wants to be? Will my sister choose the right path and never regret her choices? Is such peace of mind possible? Am I going on one of my boring existential rants again? Somebody please stop me…
UPDATE: According to a study published on the BBC website, people spend an average of 4 years and 10 months in jobs that do not make the best use of their skills and abilities. Additionally, one individual in five, is at present, in such a position.

1 comment:

Neslihan said...

our mind is in constant confusions, thinking of what to do. Generally there are 2 alternatives: to do or not to do. The choice is always made in our self interest. Mostly, these choices give us short term gains. We are more concerned about our present state of mind than out future state of mind. We like to do things which bring us pleasure in the present.Confusions are necessary in life. What would life be without any confusion, where we always know the course of action to take or we have no alternatives. What would life be then? There would not be any meaning to life. The conscience in us tells us what to do, but it is always diametrically opposed to what we want to do. It is human motives like pleasure, sex, greed, laziness, selfishness that always gets an upper hand in our decisions.Why? It is so because they are easier to put in action and it gives us a sense of pleasure for the time being. confusion is a state of mind one must experience so as to continuously grow and evolve. Do not let mind to remain in that state. Find out the alternatives and how they would affect you are others around you. Then choose the best alternative which does not harm anyone. So I am not somebody to say to you "stop" but whatever you need to talk, discuss, I will be around. :). I like your articles, I hope i don't disturb you by reading.